Frequently Asked Questions
2. Register with your company details and verify your email address.
3. Fund your pre-paid wallet via PayFast or EFT.
4. Add your vehicle/s to your account to order your NFC stickers for door-to-door delivery.
5. Our courier delivers your NFC-stickers on step-by-step onboarding guide.
6. Apply the NFC sticker to your fleet vehicle, and link the NFC sticker to the corresponding vehicle via the app.
7. Now your fleet can refuel at your nearest participating Shell service station.
You must activate your account within 7 (seven) business days of receipt of your NFC sticker(s) and use Tap ‘n Fuel within 60 calendar days of activation, failing which a replacement fee of R 95,00 per NFC sticker will be deducted from your pre-paid wallet. We’re sure you’ll understand that this is simply to recover our costs if you choose not to activate or use Tap ‘n Fuel.
The basic version includes standard functionality like creating a single pre-paid wallet for all your vehicles combined and access to standard dashboards and reports, including a cost centre report and a fuel cost report for your fleet and each vehicle.
1. A damaged NFC sticker.
2. A non-activated account, i.e., an NFC sticker that has not been linked to a vehicle within 7 (seven) business days of order delivery.
3. An idle account, i.e., an account that has not used Tap ‘n Fuel to refuel within 60 calendar days of activation.
The replacement fee will be deducted from your pre-paid wallet, and a replacement NFC sticker can only be issued if there are sufficient funds available in your pre-paid wallet.
Quickly view the movement of your fleet’s fuel activities. Get a snapshot of total rand value spent, the total volume of fuel, successful and failed transactions, active vehicles refuelling and more. Need more detail? Tap on the dashboard to drill down into transaction data or filter by month.
Four dashboards are included in the Tap ‘n Fuel app. Click the links below to view a video of the dashboards:
- My Summary Data
- Successful Transactions
- Failed Transactions
- My Fleet Dashboard
GETTING STARTED WITH THE MOBILE APP
• Company Name
• Trade Name
• Company Registration Number
• VAT Number
• First Name
• Last Name
• Mobile number
After registering, you will receive an email to verify your email address. Once you have verified your email address, you will be registered to use your Tap ‘n Fuel and fund your pre-paid wallet.
From the “Configure My Feet” sub-menu, select “Add a Vehicle”. Follow the prompts by adding the vehicles’ registration number and choosing the relevant make, model and variant from the dropdown lists provided. Select “Save” to load the vehicle onto your profile. The “Your Fleet” screen provides a complete list of all the fleet vehicles currently linked to your account.
PRE-PAID WALLET & ACTIVATION
ORDER & COURIER
- One free NFC sticker with a unique barcode per order
- An onboarding toolkit with a step-by-step guide
HOW DOES NFC PAYMENT TECHNOLOGY WORK?
Near-field communication is the ultimate in connectivity. Being an NFC-based solution, Tap ‘n Fuel transfers information between your NFC sticker, applied to your vehicle, with the handled terminal used to tap the sticker. This information includes your pre-paid wallet balance to authorise payment for a fuel transaction.
The most significant difference is that RFID uniquely identifies a vehicle through radio waves, signalling information to each other, whereas NFC allows devices to communicate with each other using tapping or touch. This is typically used for new generation tap ’n go functionality like bank cards and wearable watches.
RFID technology offers stricter control mechanisms without human intervention, whereas NFC offers convenience but requires a human to facilitate a transaction. Read more about our RFID automatic vehicle identification technology here.
• The driver informs the attendant of Tap ‘n Fuel when they arrive at a participating service station.
• The attendant fetches the station’s handheld financial payment terminal and taps the Tap ‘n Fuel NFC sticker applied to the windshield.
• The attendant asks for the vehicle’s odometer reading and enters the reading and pump number onto the handheld financial payment terminal.
• Tap ‘n Fuel checks your wallet balance and authorises the fuel transaction for approval or refusal of payment.
• If all authorisations are approved, the handheld terminal notifies the attendant of successful authorisation.
• The pump is authorised, and refuelling starts.
• Once the transaction is concluded, you can view your data and manage your fleet fuel expenses via your dashboard reporting in the Tap ‘n Fuel app.
MOBILE APP TROUBLESHOOTING
CANCELLING TAP ‘N FUEL
Because Tap ‘n Fuel has no cost to the user, there are no conditions for cancelling. Simply stop using the app and NFC stickers. Remember that each NFC sticker has a unique barcode linked to your pre-paid wallet. It is your responsibility to prohibit unauthorised access to your NFC stickers and pre-paid wallet.
Before stopping use of Tap ‘n Fuel, you have to:
a. Use all of your remaining funds in your pre-paid wallet. Unused funds cannot be credited or reimbursed.
b. Remove the NFC sticker from your vehicle.
c. Destroy the NFC sticker by cutting it up and discarding the parts (follow the same process as when you destroy and bank credit or debit card).
d. Submit evidence thereof to the App Operator within no later than 30 days to email@example.com
2. Delete the Tap ‘n Fuel app from your smartphone.
Without NFC stickers or funds, drivers will not be able to Tap ‘n Fuel.
b. Delete the Tap ‘n Fuel app from your smartphone.